Resort Fact Sheet
Rosewood Little Dix Bay sits on a crescent-shaped bay on the island of Virgin Gorda in the British Virgin Islands. Founded in 1964 by Laurance S. Rockefeller, the resort remains true to its founder’s vision of natural harmony and earth in balance while offering an escape from the ordinary. Elegantly appointed accommodations blend unobtrusively into the surrounding landscape and are located steps from the beach. Guests can enjoy a wide array of activities such as diving, snorkeling, watersports and hiking. World-class amenities, including three distinctive dining venues, Sense, A Rosewood Spa, tennis, fitness facility and children’s center, complete the experience.
Rosewood Hotels & Resorts assumed management of Rosewood Little Dix Bay in 1993. January 18, 2014 marked a milestone 50th
Anniversary since the resort’s opening in 1964. In honor of the anniversary, a comprehensive multi-phase renovation has been planned to include improvements to accommodations, public areas, dining venues and infrastructure, while staying true to Laurance Rockefeller’s original vision of a luxurious haven set amidst the pristine landscape of Virgin Gorda. Once completed the renovation will reaffirm Rosewood Little Dix Bay’s status as a legendary Caribbean destination.
The B.V.I. climate is semi-tropical and one of the healthiest in the world. Average temperatures hover around 80° Fahrenheit and constant easterly breezes guarantee cool nights year-round. There is no clearly defined wet or dry season and therefore, weather conditions are splendid any month of the year.
- Virgin Gorda – which translates to “Fat Virgin” from Spanish – was named in 1493 by Christopher Columbus, who saw in the islands now framing Little Dix Bay the silhouette of a portly woman lying on her back.
- The island was a fairly desolate agricultural community when Laurance Rockefeller established the resort; planning and land acquisition began in 1958.
- Little Dix Bay opened in January of 1964. A believer in hiring and training local people to proudly serve their island, Rockefeller discovered a friendly, highly motivated work force among the residents of Virgin Gorda.
- In December 1993, Little Dix Bay became a Rosewood Resort.
- Reopened in March 1996 after extensive refurbishments.
- A five-year multi-million-dollar renovation was concluded in December 2006, signifying the rebirth of Rosewood Little Dix Bay as a legendary destination. The renovations brought a new cliffside spa and Children’s Grove, resort-wide refurbishments of its 100 guest rooms, 16 new Rosewood Junior Suites, three new hilltop villas, restaurant designs and an innovative employee training program developed across the Rosewood collection.
- January 18, 2014 marks the 50th Anniversary of Rosewood Little Dix Bay. This special date also marks the beginning of a comprehensive renewal that will include room renovations, refinished public areas, chic new dining spaces, and more to reaffirm the resort’s position as a legendary Caribbean destination.
Dubbed “wilderness beach” by Laurance Rockefeller, the resort’s pristine, half-mile crescent beach is considered one of the finest in the world and is located steps from the resort’s accommodations. A coral reef just off the shoreline provides excellent snorkeling and protects the bay, ensuring calm water for swimming year-round.
Beach Drops: Among the most popular diversions offered at Rosewood Little Dix Bay are complimentary Beach Drops to any one of seven destinations around Virgin Gorda. Guests are transported by Boston Whaler boat to seven pristine beaches and are dropped off with beach towels, an umbrella, and snorkel gear for a few hours to relax and explore. At an additional cost, the resort can arrange for a picnic lunch and even bottle of wine for guests to bring along with them on their excursion.
The resort features 95 spacious guest accommodations that seem to “grow” out of the landscape. Most are shaded by native sea grape and palm trees, ensuring ultimate privacy. Each guest room has an outdoor patio or terrace on which to enjoy the idyllic setting of Virgin Gorda and its gentle tradewinds. Casually elegant interiors are light and airy, most with floor to ceiling windows on two sides for excellent cross ventilation. The rooms feature light wood and teak furniture, stone walls and natural colored fabrics accented by island colors. BACK TO PRESS KIT
Ocean View Room (22): Located on or near the beach, these guest rooms offer ocean views and a private patio deck. All are situated in units of fours and some are adjoining through the patio for families traveling with children. Approx. 400 sq. ft interior space and 160 sq. ft. exterior space.
Ocean Cottage (28): The Ocean Cottages are grouped four to each building with two units on the upper level and two units on the beach level. They are close to the beach, offer beautiful ocean views and are all interconnecting. Bathrooms feature bath tub and separate shower. Approx. 450 sq. ft. interior space and 160 sq. ft. exterior space.
Deluxe Cottage (6): These spacious hexagonal-shaped rooms are grouped in pairs with inter-connecting terraces and newly expanded bathrooms. The cottages are located on the west side of the resort and offer elevated panoramic views and close proximity to the beach. Approx. 520 sq. ft. interior space and 280 sq. ft. exterior space.
Beach Front Cottage (12): These spacious hexagonal-shaped rooms feature newly expanded bathrooms with outdoor garden showers. They are grouped in pairs for optimal privacy and offer ocean views in close proximity to the beach. Approx. 520 sq. ft. interior space and 280 sq. ft. exterior space.
Rosewood Junior Suite (16): Our newest accommodations enjoy breathtaking ocean views and offer a large outdoor living area accessed through French doors leading to an oversized bedroom. The spacious bathroom includes his and hers vanities, separate shower and large soaking tub, as well as an outdoor garden shower. Approx. 670 sq. ft. interior space and 290 sq. ft. exterior space.
One-Bedroom Suite (4): Perfectly located on the beach, these suites include a separate bedroom and living room, oversized soaking tub, separate indoor/outdoor shower and private double patio. The spacious accommodations are enhanced with special arrival amenities. Approx. 700 sq. ft. interior space and 500 sq. ft. exterior space.
Tree House Suites (5): Melding with nature, the charming Tree House Suites offer a unique sense of seemingly floating among the trees. These suites are the rebirth of the unique stilted Tree House Cottages first built by Laurance Rockefeller. Set just a few steps from the beach, each suite offers a retreat of luxurious living space, finished with materials and colors that evoke the natural teak, the pristine sand, and the cool volcanic stone of the region. Bedrooms and living rooms feature direct access to an expanded wraparound terrace, offering panoramic beach views from an elevated perspective. New bathrooms feature dual vanities, separate tub and indoor shower, as well as a signature outdoor shower. Tree House Suites are truly unique at Little Dix Bay as the only stand alone suites with both a sundeck and a shaded garden patio directly beneath each suite. Tree House Suites features over 940 square feet of interior living space and gorgeous views of the Caribbean Seas.
Amenities in Room:
• Bose CD player
• In-room safe
• Resort waffle weave robes
• Heeley bath amenities
• Iron & ironing board
• TV/DVD player available on request with access to complimentary DVD library
Two Bedroom Beach House (1) & Three Bedroom Beach House (1): The two-bedroom Beach House enjoys approximately 2,200 square feet of interior space with an additional 1,000 square feet terrace with direct beach access. The 3,550-square-foot, three-bedroom Beach House offers oversized bedrooms, a private pool, and state-of-the-art bathrooms with indoor/outdoor stone showers and deep soaking bathtubs. Both Beach Houses offer a full kitchen featuring modern stainless-steel appliances, state-of-the-art equipment including a flat-screen TV with DVD player, BOSE radio with CD player and iPod connection in each room, private pools with resort and bay views, outdoor showers and al fresco dining options with oversized terraces.
Three (3) & Four Bedroom Villas (2): Perched above the iconic rooftops of the resort's pavilions and offering magnificent 180 degree panoramic views of the bay and neighboring islands, the Little Dix Bay Villas offer true Caribbean charm, attentive service and a vast array of services and amenities. The most discerning travelers will find an "oasis for the senses" in each of the unique and spacious three- and four-bedroom villas. A relaxed, yet upscale atmosphere and décor defines these 4,000-square-foot units that blend naturally with Virgin Gorda's tropical surroundings. An unobtrusive, yet regal presence captures the unique possibilities of a true Caribbean villa vacation.
Amenities in Beach Houses & Villas:
• Fully equipped kitchens with state-of-the-art stainless-steel appliances (excludes washer and dryer)
• Flat-screen TVs in every room with cable TV line-up
• DVD player & BOSE radios with iPod connections
• Wii game console (on request)
• Wraparound terrace with gazebo
• Private pool with outdoor deck & grill
• Full bathrooms with dual vanities, separate shower/bathtubs, private outdoor showers and Heeley bath amenities
• Private book collection
• Concierge and dedicated activities desk
• Activity Center with Internet access; Complimentary Wi-Fi access
• Personal DVD players available upon request and video library of over 300 titles
• Manager’s cocktail reception
• Pavilion Terrace early morning coffee and afternoon tea
• Nightly movies
• Gift shop/clothing boutique
• Babysitting services
• Nightly turndown service
• Laundry/valet services
• Daily delivery of The Times Digest
• Ferry/airport greeting and transfers
• Hot Type program: Read the latest wave of books from best-selling authors before they are available for sale with this exclusive program at all Rosewood resorts. Advance copies of new fiction and non-fiction titles can be found at the “Hot Type” library at Rosewood Little Dix Bay.
• Picture Perfect program: Capture every memory on one of Fuji film’s super slick digital cameras, available complimentary to resort guests during their stay. Upon departure, guests will be provided with a CD of their photos as a keepsake of their visit.
The cuisine at Rosewood Little Dix Bay is simple and elegant, incorporating the natural bounty found in Virgin Gorda. Guests are served amidst dramatic backdrops of sand, sea and sky to create memorable dining experiences in all three of the resort’s open-air venues. Each restaurant offers a menu of indigenous island cuisine with a distinct twist on flavor and a unique setting in which to enjoy a peaceful breakfast, casual lunch or romantic dinner.
The Beach Grill: Situated adjacent to the resort’s private dock just a few steps from the beach, this casual grill overlooks the sea and is open most days from 11:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Guests will find a dazzling array of creative cocktails as well as appetizing menu options featuring local ingredients from land and sea in a variety of chilled soups, salads, sandwiches and grilled burgers and pizzas.
The Pavilion: Located at the heart of the resort beneath Rosewood Little Dix Bay’s four signature vaulted rooftops, this open-air restaurant serves traditional American cuisine and offers sweeping postcard views with every table. An elaborate daily breakfast is served with fresh juices, pastries and made-to-order items. Lunch is served most days and offers a buffet selection of salads, vegetables, fruits, meats, cheeses, sandwiches, hot entrees and items grilled to order. The popular Rosewood Little Dix Bay Caribbean Grand Buffet is hosted every Monday night. An á la carte dinner menu features international favorites with island flair, including grilled lobster, coconut salmon and conch chowder in addition to pastas, fresh meats and daily specials. Live music can be enjoyed most evenings. The neighboring wallaba-shingled bar serves food daily from 12 noon to 10:00 p.m. and offers a selection of Caribbean cocktails and rums. Daily afternoon tea, complete with English scones, fruit brochettes and local “Johnny Cakes” are served at the bar.
The Sugar Mill: Dining at the Sugar Mill is an authentic experience, with sight, sound, smell and taste all thoughtfully highlighted in the guest's experience. Set in an open air stone mill on the beach, the Sugar Mill's curving architecture affords guests panoramic views of the bay from every table while local musicians perform to accompany the views and the aromas of beautifully prepared dishes.
Menu offerings are understated yet complex as the chef seeks to enhance natural flavors with classic regional preparations, and local spices. Dishes include a refreshing salad of local watermelon and feta cheese, Red Snapper served with the essence of lemongrass, and the sweet Anegada Lobster which are hand-picked by guests as they are brought to our dock by local fishermen. Here, dishes are not over dressed, instead the Sugar Mill honors the produce, meats, and seafood of the region, in classic beachside style. It is the perfect dining venue for a romantic dinner for two. For small groups, a private dining room is available with seating for up to 12 guests.
Private Beach Dinners: Rosewood Little Dix Bay can accommodate up to three private beach dinners each evening for the ultimate romantic experience. Guests dine in the glow of tiki torches beneath a veil of stars and within earshot of the gentle lapping surf. Privately served by the resort’s wait staff with a choice from all menus, beach dinners set the perfect mood for honeymooners or even a proposal.
Spring Bay Picnic: Every Thursday morning, guests who book this special activity are transported via Boston Whaler to Spring Bay, a nearby beach adjacent to the famed Baths of Virgin Gorda. There, the resort’s chefs prepare a gourmet barbeque lunch while guests enjoy a guided snorkel tour, or simply relax under umbrellas on the beach. A steel band and limbo contest complete the fun. Still another diversion is offered in nearby Devil’s Bay where guests can traverse The Baths and explore the unique intricacies and natural pathways created by these giant boulders on the beach.
Sense, A Rosewood Spa: An idyllic retreat perched high on a bluff overlooking the Caribbean Sea, Sense, A Rosewood Spa offers the world’s finest beauty and recuperative treatments. Sense’s dramatic setting is unparalleled, with 360° views and stone footpaths that meander through lush tropical gardens leading to nine treatment cottages, including a couple’s suite. The relaxation area features a two-tiered infinity pool with neighboring Jacuzzi and vistas of sailboats floating on the horizon. An outdoor Yoga platform is also located at Sense with 25-mile views of the seascape and Rosewood Little Dix Bay.
Using therapeutic practices and progressive concepts in health and wellness, many of the treatments fuse the indigenous botanical resources proliferating within the grounds of the resort with traditional, spiritual and physical healing arts. Signature treatments include the Virgin Gorda Goat Milk & Honey Wrap and the Salt Island Scrub.
Rose Buds: Rose Buds is a program designed to provide our youngest guests with special services, amenities and convenience items designed just for them. From kids' menus to special events and fun activities, we welcome children and families at Rosewood Hotels & Resorts and look forward to hosting your next visit.
Rose Buds at Rosewood Little Dix Bay reflects the same thoughtfulness and focus on environmental appreciation espoused by Laurance S. Rockefeller in the founding days of the resort. Set amongst the shade of a mahogany preserve is the Children's Center, where creative and indigenous activities delight children of all ages. With more than 2,000 sq. ft. of interior space, the Children's Center is unique in the Caribbean. The facility boasts a miniature Caribbean chattel house, dress-up parlor, arts and crafts center, shipwreck, outside play area and many other exciting tropical activities. Led by experienced, fun-loving and caring staff, children participate in nature walks, shell collecting, treasure hunts and other recreations that bring them in direct contact with Little Dix's beautiful environs. Children may also delight in stone painting, Caribbean folk art and literature and West Indian musical instrument crafts, all of which will become precious mementos of their visit.
Tennis: Seven all-weather outdoor tennis courts are available complimentary to resort guests. Two courts are lit for night play. Tennis clinics, private lessons and special tennis packages are offered by resident Peter Burwash International tennis pros.
Fitness Center: This facility features state-of-the-art cardiovascular training equipment including treadmills, Stairmasters and Life Cycles in addition to Cybex weight machines and free weights. Personal training is also available with professional instruction led by Frankly Fitness®.
• Beachfront, free-form fresh water pool on two levels with lunch and cocktail service available
• Watersports including complimentary snorkeling and use of Sunfish sailboats and kayaks. Glass-bottom boat tours, waterskiing, snorkel trips, scuba diving, sailing excursions, deep-sea fishing and boat charters are also available at an additional charge.
• Sunset cocktail cruises
• Hiking on two on-property trails
• Island sightseeing trips by jeep or boat
• Shopping excursions to Spanish Town and the Marina
• Virgin Gorda is 90 miles east of Puerto Rico and 26 miles northeast of St. Thomas, just off the Sir Francis Drake Channel. It can be reached via San Juan, St. Thomas or Tortola.
• Year-round Air Taxi Service operates daily from St. Thomas to Virgin Gorda and may be booked directly through the resort. Seasonal Air Taxi Service is available from St. Martin.
• Rosewood Little Dix Bay is located five minutes from Virgin Gorda Airport or 20 minutes by boat on the resort’s private catamaran from Terrance B. Lettsome International Airport, Tortola.
• Rosewood Little Dix Bay is one-half mile from Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbor and Spanish Town.
• A valid passport is required to visit the British Virgin Islands and re-enter the United States.
• Rosewood Hotels & Resorts