Alex Eagle’s Travel Essentials
How does the London-based fashion innovator stay looking sharp on the road? Here are her top ten must-haves.
Formerly a stylist for titles like Harper’s Bazaar and Tank, Alex Eagle has an eye that lives up to her name. Her instinct for creative collaborations and specially commissioned designs has shaken up London’s shopping scene and made her one of the city’s top fashion impresarios. Take The Store, a first-of-its-kind retail/art/co-working concept spread out over a Brutalist landmark building at 180 The Strand. It hosts London Fashion Week, along with immersive installations by the likes of Virgil Abloh and Wes Anderson, plus the offices of Dazed Media, IMG Models, and others. Meanwhile, in Soho, Alex Eagle Studio is a one-stop shop for fashion, furniture, rare books, vinyl records, and curiosities of all kinds, plus art openings, wellness residencies, and more. It’s also where you’ll find Eagle’s eponymous clothing line, which—from an all-cashmere ensemble (joggers, hoody, socks) to a silk dressing gown that doubles a party dress—is as timeless as it is travel-friendly. After all, Eagle is on the road just about every week, whether on buying-and-scouting trips to Paris, Venice, Florence, New York, and Los Angeles; checking in on her retail collaborations with Soho House in Oxfordshire and Berlin; or spending long weekends with family and friends in Positano and Rome. So who better to ask for packing tips? “My philosophy is always less is more,” says Eagle. Here’s what makes the cut:
- Away Luggage: “They do the best suitcases, all with built-in chargers, which couldn’t be more handy when your phone is constantly running out of steam mid-journey.” awaytravel.com
- Beoplay headphones: “I like listening to music and catching up on Netflix when I’m traveling, but I can’t stand bad headphones. Bang & Olufsen’s are amazing quality and look so smart.” beoplay.com
- Crème de la Mer moisturizing cream: “It’s good to have a couple of beauty products you can rely on, so you don’t have to bring your whole bathroom shelf. Crème de la Mer is a great all-rounder.” cremedelamer.com
- Valextra wash bag: “One of my prize possessions and key travel items is a leather wash bag personalized in Yves Klein blue. And you know with Valextra, it’s going to last forever.” valextra.com
- Portrait of a Lady by Frédéric Malle: A mélange of Turkish rose, patchouli heart, sandalwood, frankincense, clove, blackcurrant and raspberry makes for Eagle’s “absolute favorite scent. I wear it every day and every night, and it truly has become part of my DNA.” fredericmalle.com
- The Secret History by Donna Tartt: “I use travel time to catch up on reading. At the moment I’m revisiting this classic”—a thriller set at an elite New England college, from the Pulitzer Prize–winning author of The Goldfinch.
- Smythson passport cover: Crafted from cross-grain calf leather, the Panama Collection document holder makes Eagle “feel super-organized, and more importantly, very chic.” smythson.com
- Susanne Kaufmann Calming pillow spray: “I love all of her products, but never travel without the Calming lavender spray. It’s so lovely on your pillow and blanket during long-haul flights, and makes your hotel bed feel like home.” susannekaufmann.com
- Veja sneakers: “Trainers are a must; they can edge up an outfit, be worn to the gym, and are essential for walking around cities and visiting the sites. Veja’s Esplar style can be both smart and casual, and are made from completely sustainable materials.” alexeagle.co.uk
- Yolke eye mask: “Luxurious sleepwear is a bit of an indulgence for me. Yolke is the best for silk PJs and eye masks, which I use pretty much every night.” yolke.co.uk
The Store: 180 The Strand
Alex Eagle Studio: 6-10 Lexington Street; +44 20-7589 0588