Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek is steeped in Dallas history. Originally built as a private residence, much of the fine estate seen today was constructed in the early 1920s after a fire destroyed the first structure. The owners, inspired by worldly travels, embarked on a tour of Europe with their architect, curating antique pieces, authentic fixtures and luxurious materials.
In 1925, the opulent manor was complete, including a cantilevered staircase and the first private elevator in Dallas. The architecture is influenced by 16th century Renaissance Italy. Ornate interior décor is inspired by grand estates in Spain, Italy, England, France and elsewhere.
For the next 50 years, the palatial estate hosted countless society parties as the center of the Dallas social scene. Famous guests included President Franklin D. Roosevelt and Tennessee Williams. The manor changed hands a number of times with various wealthy owners expanding and enhancing the estate.
In 1979, Rosewood Property Company purchased the property and transformed it into a world-class restaurant and hotel. The Mansion Restaurant opened to rave reviews and extraordinary national acclaim in 1980. In 1980, Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek, the luxury hotel, was added to complement the original residence, with 143 guest rooms and suites designed with an inviting ambiance. The hotel opened with a grand gala benefiting the local arts community, an early indication of a strong commitment to philanthropic endeavors.
Throughout the years, modern design elements have been introduced while preserving historic details. Meticulously restored interiors, hand-carved fireplaces, marble floors and stained-glass windows preserve the estate's original magnificence.